Monday, January 17, 2011

MINI-LIST: Cole's Favourite Movies of 2010

2010 wasn't exactly a banner year for movies for me so expect a list of a much cooler year coming soon. But I know certain parties are still curious about my picks so here they are.

I'm glad Shane decided to go with the MINI-LIST format for this one as I really don't have a lot to say (for once). I'm even going to rip off his questions for the most part. Let's do it.



5. The Expendables

How would you describe the movie in five words? Testosterone, testosterone, testosterone, guns, testosterone. Why did it make the list? Well, it does feature Sylvester Stallone, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Jason Statham and a host of other well known ass kickers of fine cinema. That alone is an achievement. What was your favourite thing about the movie? Dolph Lundgren!!! What didn't you like about it? No Jean-Claude. So sad. What surprised you most? For some reason, I didn't think Steve Austin would be playing a bad guy. But he does a fair job of it.











4. Kick-Ass

Why doesn't Roger Ebert like this movie? Apparently, because he finds it overly violent. Do you agree with him? Do I ever? (besides Dark City, I mean) So you don't agree with him here? Oh, I agree with him - it's overly violent. But I think that's a very good thing. What surprised you most? Just how good the soundtrack is - it blends wonderfully with the action. Does the movie cross a moral line by having a prepubescent girl running around killing people? I don't think so because she's killing bad people. People always freak out when minors are shown doing ANYTHING in movies. It's ridiculous. And besides, in the case of Hit Girl, it's rather...far fetched. So gimme a break. 








3. TRON: Legacy

Is it a worthy sequel to TRON? I would say absolutely. Sometimes having a gap of many years between sequels can really be advantageous. In this case, it really helps the story. Is this the best-looking movie you've seen in 2010? Without a doubt. What surprised you the most? The ending, I think. Not that there's a big twist or anything. Was that Cillian Murphy in the scene in the boardroom? Yeah. Maybe he was passing by the set and they asked him over. Is this a better film than its predecessor? No. They're actually quite difficult to compare, really. The concepts in TRON were foreign to about 95% of its audience when it was released. TRON: Legacy tries to push this envelope too but it can't go as far by virtue of the technology-oriented world we live in these days. It's not like 1982 was SO primitive, it's just that back then only a handful of people really understood where technology was going, I think - any movie from the eighties that tried to accurately predict what the world would be like in twenty years or so was way off. But it seems to me that the average person today has at least some sort of grasp of what the next twenty years will realistically bring with regards to technology.
It's the Age of Information after all. Concepts discussed in TRON: Legacy really don't seem that out of reach.

2. Scott Pilgrim VS The World

Is this movie based on you? Pretty much, yeah. Well, that is, it's based on a comic that is based on me. When are you going to start seeing some money for this? Any day now, I'm sure. So you have an X-Men patch on your jacket? No, they changed that. I have a BPRD patch. I guess they figured X-Men was more recognizable. Would you really date a chick with so much baggage? Dude, I ONLY date chicks with that much baggage. Halifax: Threat or Menace? Definitely Menace. You'll see.












1. Batman: Under The Red Hood

Waitaminute! This movie wasn't even released in theatres! What do you think you're doing? Stating my favourite movie of 2010. I don't recall any rules besides date of release. It's a 2010 release so bite me. Ok, smart guy - so what's so great about it? It's extremely faithful to the comic arc on which it is based (what a concept!) - Judd Winick, who wrote the comics, did the script - , the voicework is topnotch, the animation is fantastic, Gotham looks just like it should...I could go on. Anything you DIDN'T like about it, fanboy? While the voicework is great, of course I would have preferred having Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill - all the other actors I'm fine with, even the guy playing Gordon. So who is the Red Hood? You can't be serious. Will this open the door for more animated movies based on awesome story arcs? God, I hope so.

5 comments:

Iphone Games Review said...

I did not watch anyone of them, i hope i can enjoy this collection on this sunday.

Shane said...

For me, The Expendables and Kick Ass were two of my most anticipated movies of last year, and I'm sorry to say that both fell way short of my expectations. Both started quite strong and then about half way through I was losing interest. The concept of Expendables should have made it the biggest and best action movie ever. It was fun, but it was just another action movie to me with cameos. But you're right, where the hell was JCVD? Certainly they could have swapped out one of the wrestlers for him.

The best part about Kick Ass was Hit Girl, she made all the other characters boring and lame by comparison(...was that the point?). I've never read the comics, so I don't know if the story will get better in the inevitable sequels, but this one was just lukewarm. Don't get me wrong though, it was pretty darn fun, but it lacked the sort of energy and pacing that made Scott Pilgrim such a blast.

I haven't seen Tron Legacy yet. I'm certain I will like it though I've heard mixed things. I like the original despite it being incredibly slow. The sequel seems to be a completely different experience and I know I'm going to be kicking myself for not catching it in theatres if I don't act soon.

Yes, your number one has surprised me. I've not heard a thing about this, but I'm now resolute in seeing it soon. As is my rule, you can never have enough Batman.

Cool list. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ragging on your picks. They are still really entertaining movies, just in some cases they didn't live up to the hype for me. Also, out of curiosity, was there any movie you are most disappointed about not seeing in theatres last year?

cole d'arc said...

no, i pretty much agree with you. as i said in my intro, it's actually a weak list because it was a weak year (to me). I love the top three but then it really does fall off. I liked Kick-Ass and The Expendables but i only gave them 7's on imdb - until now, my lists were always 8 and higher.

unfortunately JVCD's absence was his own doing. i still hold out hope he'll do the sequel though.

As for a movie I wish I hadn't missed, there probably was one or two but i can't really remember.

Shane said...

After you mentioned it, I checked IMDB and it turns out I rated Expendables and Kick Ass both at 7 as well. It seems we see eye to eye.

Did you see The Social Network? That almost made my top five. It was a real good movie I thought.

RyHoMagnifico said...

Excellent number 1! I actually hadn't thought about that movie when I made my top 5 (coming soon to a Five-O-Rama near you). Red Hood was sooo good.

I saw The Social Network, Shane, and it almost made my top 5 as well. I was really surprised with how much I liked it.